Labour's plan to ban credit card betting stands to save consumers £545 million on fees and interest.
Commenting on Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson’s call for a ban on using credit cards to gamble, Alastair Douglas, CEO of Free Credit Report provider and credit experts TotallyMoney, said: “A blanket ban on the use of credit cards would be a massive win for consumers. “For regular purchases, people usually get an interest-free grace period, which doesn’t apply when credit is used to gamble. The trouble is that most people aren’t aware of how much gambling with credit truly costs them — that is, not until their bill arrives. A TotallyMoney survey of 1,000 people revealed that only 1 in 10 people are aware that gambling with credit is treated as a cash advance, which means higher-than-average interest rates apply. “What’s more, a recent report by the Gambling Commission says up to £8.6 billion of gambling deposits are made using credit cards. Assuming an average cash transaction fee of 3.23% and an average cash advance interest rate of 28.13%, we calculated that consumers stand to save £545 million each year on fees and interest. “That’s why TotallyMoney is more than happy to welcome a blanket ban on gambling with credit — not only because it would save people a lot of money, but also because it would solve the problem of people spending more than they can afford by gambling with credit.”
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
- Free credit report providers and credit experts, TotallyMoney, are on a mission to improve the UK’s credit score and help people move on up to a better future.
- TotallyMoney launched its free credit report in late 2017, and today has 3 million customers.
- TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot. They are also 2018, 2019 and 2020 winners of Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet’s Personal Finance Awards, showing recognition from both its customers, as well as within the wider industry.
- TotallyMoney is backed by Elliott Advisors (UK) and Scottish Equity Partners (SEP), following a £29 million investment announced in January 2019.
- TotallyMoney is also a Sunday Times Best Company as well as a UK’s Best Workplace 2019.