The UK’s Most Stressful Places to Live
Feeling some additional pressure recently? You might just be a product of your environment. We've looked at 16 stress-inducing factors across the country - such as finances, commute time, job opportunities and crime rates – to find the least and most-stressed towns and cities in the UK: www.totallymoney.com/most-stressed-cities-uk/ The interactive page includes stats and insights for each town and city. In addition to this please find some key points below:
- London ranks as the UK’s most stressed city. A result of the longest average commute times from the UK’s most expensive homes to jobs which require the most overtime;
- Doncaster is the least stressed place in the country, thanks to an enormous sense of wellbeing. In addition to this, Doncaster has the highest job growth, the third lowest cost of living and comparatively affordable housing;
- Dundee is Scotland’s most stressed city, and the 4th most stressed in Britain. With the second lowest average credit edibility scores, Dundee is also the UK’s fifth highest-ranking city for unemployment benefits claimants;
- With 0% job growth and the third lowest average credit eligibility scores Newport ranks as Wales’s most stressed city and 12th in the UK, ahead of Swansea (29th) and Cardiff (46th);
- Birmingham, the UK’s second largest city also ranks as the second most stressed. With job growth of just 0.2% and some of the highest unemployment levels, those who can find work should expect to put in an average of 9 hours overtime per week.
Joe Gardiner, Head of Brand and Communications at TotallyMoney.com, said of the findings: "Poor access to credit and financial troubles are a big contributor when it comes to stress. "We hope this research will help shine a light on the areas in which people can take control and reduce their stress levels." Here are the full rankings from the research, showing the most to least-stressed places to live in the UK:
To compile this data TotallyMoney.com used the following sources: Job Market (weighting: 20%)
- Job growth: Nomis
- Overtime: TotallyMoney.com’s 2017 Overtime Survey
- Unemployment: CentreForCities.org
Commute (weighting: 20%)
Finances (weighting: 20%)
- Average house price: Zoopla
- Cost of living index: Numbeo data (made up of: average meal for two/average monthly travel/average fitness club membership/average cinema ticket)
- Credit Eligibility Score: TotallyMoney.com eligibility scores of over 300k UK residents
Wellbeing (weighting: 20%)
Demographics (weighting: 20%)
- Population density: ONS
Crime: CrimeRates About TotallyMoney
TotallyMoney puts customers right at the centre of their credit data, helping them make smarter decisions to take control of their finances.
TotallyMoney provides customers with a free Live Credit Score & Report. Their score is updated each time they log in and real-time notifications help them understand the reasons their score has changed. And they can access six-years’ of borrowing history in their full Credit Report.
TotallyMoney’s unique Borrowing Power algorithm shows customers how likely they are to be offered credit by real-world lenders. While the Credit Report helps customers understand their financial history and their Score tells them about their position today, Borrowing Power helps them build a better financial future.
Through the TotallyMoney platforms, customers can compare over 100 credit cards, hundreds of loans and more than 5,000 mortgages; including market-leading, exclusive products and offers.
TotallyMoney’s strategic partnerships and marketing expertise have helped millions of people find the right financial products, make smarter decisions about their money and build better credit ratings.
TotallyMoney was one of the pioneers of the pre-application eligibility check to help customers avoid credit-damaging rejection.
It continues to develop innovative services and features that put customers in control of their finances and support them as they build their financial foundations.
What sets TotallyMoney apart is that it is the only UK comparison site exclusively focused on credit and committed to helping make the credit market fairer.
TotallyMoney’s credit-market expertise and agile operation have made it a trusted partner of forward-thinking lenders seeking to launch innovative brands.
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
- Free credit report providers and credit experts, TotallyMoney, are on a mission to improve the UK’s credit score and help people move on up to a better future.
- TotallyMoney launched its free credit report in late 2017, and today has 3 million customers.
- TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot. They are also 2018, 2019 and 2020 winners of Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet’s Personal Finance Awards, showing recognition from both its customers, as well as within the wider industry.
- TotallyMoney is backed by Elliott Advisors (UK) and Scottish Equity Partners (SEP), following a £29 million investment announced in January 2019.
- TotallyMoney is also a Sunday Times Best Company as well as a UK’s Best Workplace 2019.