Overtime Survey 2017: UK is working for free from 25 October
So, how much overtime do you put in and what is it costing you over the course of a year? If you think it’s just a few minutes here and there, use the TotallyMoney overtime calculator and you might be surprised how much this is leaving you out of pocket. Are you getting paid what you deserve in the run up to Christmas? https://www.totallymoney.com/overtime-worth/ In addition to the calculator TotallyMoney.com has released their annual study into overtime, and the UK is working more overtime than ever (https://www.totallymoney.com/overtime-survey/). As a nation, we seem to be unable to break the overtime habit. According to the study TotallyMoney.com ran with OnePoll looking into overtime in the UK in 2017, the average amount of overtime workers put in equates to around 68 working days a year, or from Wednesday the 25th of October. The fact that one third or workers are paid for this means many of us are essentially working for free from 25 October. Unsurprisingly 60% of British workers say they don’t have a good work-life balance. Common reasons given for working overtime were pressures from colleague and excessive workloads. Some of the other findings from the study include:
- Almost 65% of people surveyed aren’t being paid for overtime worked.
- Only a third of British workers say they typically leave work on time.
- While 43% of men said they were paid for their overtime, only 30% of women claimed are financially compensated for their extra working hours.
- Conversely, 24% of women feel pressured to work overtime in order to progress their career whereas only 11% men feel the same way.
- Women are more likely to carry out work related duties while on holiday. Only 13% of men said they worked while on holiday, as opposed to 24% of women.
- Putting in an average of 9.6 hours a week, Londoners do the most overtime out of any region in the UK.
- Overtime Map - https://www.totallymoney.com/overtime-survey/infographic/
- Teachers work an average of 6.5 hours overtime each week, with eight out of ten not being paid.
- In the healthcare sector, workers are putting in an extra 7.7 hours overtime each week, with 55% not being paid for these hours. The most frequent reason given for working these overtime hours is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work.
- One in four workers say they feel run-down due to their working hours
- Of the workers surveyed, 23% said their work negatively impacts their diets or prevents them from regularly exercising.
The overtime calculator from TotallyMoney.com lets you work out exactly how much your overtime is worth each day. Simply input your annual salary (let’s say £27,000), how many hours you work (35 – the UK average). Say you arrive 20 minutes early and work half an hour over lunch each day. Add to that another 20 minutes at the end of the day to finish up. Based on these small overtime minutes each day you’ll be working an extra 283.3 hours extra each year. Based on a salary of £27K (the UK average), that represents £4,500 of lost income.
TotallyMoney provides customers with a free Live Credit Score & Report that puts them right at the centre of their credit data, helps them make smarter decisions and take control of their finances.
TotallyMoney’s unique Borrowing Power algorithm shows customers how likely they are to be offered credit by real-world lenders.
TotallyMoney is an independent credit broker, not a lender. It provides a free comparison service to customers, though they may be paid a fee by lenders. How much they get paid doesn’t influence how the service works or the ranking of any credit products presented to customers.
James McCaffrey - Senior Marketing Executive [email protected]
For more information, please contact the press team
- TotallyMoney is the credit app built to help people move forward and achieve their financial goals
- It’s the only credit app that provides customers with their live credit score for free
- Almost 4 million customers have already signed up to TotallyMoney, and its service is rated 4.6/5 on TrustPilot
- TotallyMoney is the UK’s 5th best financial services company to work for, with a 3 star accreditation that reflects ‘world class’ levels of workplace engagement