The World's Favourite Films
Everyone’s heard of Avatar, but have you ever watched Loufa Kai Parallegi? How about The Mermaid? Well, they were the biggest films of the past ten years in Greece and China, respectively.
TotallyMoney.com has looked at the highest grossing films around the world between 2006 and 2016 to see how the box-office habits differ between countries.
Avatar is currently the highest grossing film of all time, which isn’t surprising seeing as it is also the highest grossing film since 2006 in 25 countries, including places as diverse as Hungary, Australia and Kenya.
While Hollywood films such as The Avengers and Furious 7 seem to have found audiences all over the world, some countries clearly favour their local filmmakers more than others.
The Mermaid, a Hong Kong-Chinese romantic comedy film, pulled in US$553 million (£449 million) at the start of 2016 in China, making it the country’s highest ever grossing film.
TotallyMoney.com recently launched the Thumb-Stopping Moments short film competition to challenge filmmakers of all levels to shoot an attention-grabbing 60-second film. The best submission will be awarded £7,000, with £2,000 and £1,000 for the second and third place runners-up respectively. The deadline for submissions is 11 November 2016, so get shooting.
About the research:
Data on the gross earnings by films in each country featured in the research was collected from Boxofficemojo.com and is correct as of October 2016.
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
- Free credit report providers and credit experts, TotallyMoney, are on a mission to improve the UK’s credit score and help people move on up to a better future.
- TotallyMoney launched its free credit report in late 2017, and today has 3 million customers.
- TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot. They are also 2018, 2019 and 2020 winners of Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet’s Personal Finance Awards, showing recognition from both its customers, as well as within the wider industry.
- TotallyMoney is backed by Elliott Advisors (UK) and Scottish Equity Partners (SEP), following a £29 million investment announced in January 2019.
- TotallyMoney is also a Sunday Times Best Company as well as a UK’s Best Workplace 2019.