Rent vs Time Tube Map: How Much Will Londoners Pay for a Shorter Commute?
We all want an extra minute or two in bed each morning, but how much will the people of London pay for this pleasure? Recent research by credit comparison website TotallyMoney.com has found that Londoners will pay on average an extra £6.60 a week in rent for every minute shaved off their travel time. To demonstrate how travel time impacts rent prices on each London Underground line, TotallyMoney.com has recreated the famous Tube map showing the average rent near each station and the travel time to the most desirable location on the line. https://www.totallymoney.com/rent-vs-tube-journey-time/ The map reveals that the average commuter will have to pay significantly more to shorten their journey each morning, however, the capital does still contain a few undervalued stations that are close to the city centre. Commuters can get from Mile End station in east London to Oxford Circus in just 16 minutes on the Central line, and pay an average weekly rent of £215. On the other hand, people living in leafy Richmond can expect an average weekly rent of £331, despite being 29 minutes from the most expensive District line station (South Kensington). Joe Gardiner, Head of Brand and Communications at TotallyMoney.com, said of the research: ‘Obviously there is more to choosing a place to live than just seeing how close it is to work, but many Londoners feel the less time spent on the tube each day the better. ‘Here at TotallyMoney.com we are committed to making the credit market a fairer place and helping people get the best value for their money in every aspect of life. ‘Therefore we hope this research gives people in London an insight into where they should be looking to live if they want affordable rent prices along with a manageable commute.’
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
- Free credit report providers and credit experts, TotallyMoney, are on a mission to improve the UK’s credit score and help people move on up to a better future.
- TotallyMoney launched its free credit report in late 2017, and today has 3 million customers.
- TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot. They are also 2018, 2019 and 2020 winners of Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet’s Personal Finance Awards, showing recognition from both its customers, as well as within the wider industry.
- TotallyMoney is backed by Elliott Advisors (UK) and Scottish Equity Partners (SEP), following a £29 million investment announced in January 2019.
- TotallyMoney is also a Sunday Times Best Company as well as a UK’s Best Workplace 2019.