Introducing… The Beatles, Oasis, Muse – The Grand Tour of the UK Genre-Defining Musical Geniuses
A new interactive map of the UK from TotallyMoney shows the massive involvement the country has had in the world music scene, with classic rock bands like Black Sabbath through to boy band pop stars One Direction making up the colossal £4.1 billion contribution of the music industry to the British economy. From Hey Jude to Wonderwall, Supermassive Black Hole to Invaders Must Die, the UK music scene has provided a lot when it comes to songs that get stuck in your head. Musicians come from every corner of the country – Two Door Cinema Club in the north of Northern Ireland down to Mick Jagger down in the south east of England. And now you can see all these big names in one map, spanning over 200 artists and bands, and nearly 60 years of classic British music. TotallyMoney have put together an interactive map of the UK made up of the names of the top musicians from every inch of the country. See where Adele rolled in the deep, and the hills where Ed Sheeran found a castle, as well as the number ones that rocketed them to the top of their game and how much money it’s made them. You can also listen to a clip from their biggest hit – just in case you needed a refresher on why these artists are so important. Backstage Pass You know all the lyrics, you have a dance routine with your friends for the big songs, but do you know where the artists came from? The map shows music from everywhere in the country, with 245 artists mapped out across the UK. Check out the top five chart-toppers for number ones, and see where they came from:
- The Beatles – the UK’s most iconic band of all time, Hey Jude is their most recognisable – and catchy – song. Hailing from Liverpool, the band had 17 number one hits.
- Take That – This Mancunian band has had 12 number one hits on the charts, with their most famous being Never Forget.
- The Spice Girls – Formed in London, Scary, Sporty, Baby, Ginger, and Posh brought tracks like Wannabe and 2 Become 1 to the world – as well as 7 other number ones.
- Oasis – While Wonderwall is the traditional song for students hanging around in their halls with guitars, Don’t Look Back in Anger is one of the Manchester band’s biggest hits – one of their 8 number ones, in fact.
- The Rolling Stones – Mick Jagger is from Kent and Brian Jones from Gloucestershire, but the band came together in 1962 at the Marquee Club on Oxford Street. Hits range from Gimme Shelter to Sympathy for the Devil, and they’re still rolling on.
The UK music industry is one of the biggest in the world,” said Joe Gardiner, TotallyMoney’s Head of Brand and Communications, “It’s a rich history, but people often think that musicians just congregate in London. Music is universal – singers and bands come from all over.” View the full interactive map here and the infographic here.
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
TotallyMoney is on a mission to improve the UK's credit score, with their free credit report at the heart of this goal. Today, TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot, and has over two million customers (and growing!). They've also won Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet's Personal Finance Awards every year since their launch in 2017.