THINKING OF A PET THIS CHRISTMAS? IT COULD COST 14 TIMES MORE THAN YOU THINK
LONDON, 13 December 2017 — A OnePoll survey commissioned by TotallyMoney reveals the average cost of pets over their lifetime is much higher than we think, lending credence to the old saying that a dog is for life, not just for Christmas. The interactive calculator looks at a range of pets — including dogs, cats, rabbits, lizards, and chickens to name a few — and takes into account many factors to estimate how much that pet will cost its owner in its lifetime. These factors include food, toys, insurance, healthcare, and grooming, among others. The calculator is set at the average cost for each variable, but users can adjust each price depending on their own pet-spending habits. The research shows we vastly underestimate how much our pets cost us over their lifetime.
Times More Expensive
Cats, for example, on average cost owners £12,300 but have a perceived cost of £5,594. Similarly, dogs on average cost owners £20,178 but have a perceived cost of £6,303. That’s over two and three times more expensive, respectively. Man’s best friend? Maybe over Christmas The research shows we dote on dogs much more over the festive period, with 30% of owners feeding their pooch a special Christmas lunch. What’s more, 17% of dog owners have dressed their pet in a Christmas outfit. 10% of pet owners will spend more on their pet than their partner, while 21% of dog owners will spend more on their pet than their best friend. More than half of dogs have received a Christmas present. Northern Ireland comes top for spending the most on their pets at Christmas. The table below shows how much each region plans to spend on their animals over the festive period.
Yorkshire and the Humber
53% of pet owners would rather have their pet than a baby Although pet owners might not realise just how much their pet costs, it seems this does little to put them off:
- 52% of people feel their pet is part of the family
- 23% of people feel that their pet is their best friend; for dog owners, this is 33%
- 20% of people tell their pet how they feel
- 20% of people feel their pet talks to them
- 60% of owners have never regretted getting their pet.
Look at the interactive calculator to estimate how much your pet is costing you. About TotallyMoney TotallyMoney provides customers with a free Credit Report and Live Score that puts them right at the centre of their credit data, helps them make smarter decisions, and take control of their finances. TotallyMoney’s unique Borrowing Power algorithm shows customers how likely they are to be offered credit by real-world lenders. TotallyMoney won the Innovation in Customer Contact award at the 2017 Credit Awards for their intelligent email alerts service. These personalised monthly emails tell users about products that could help them, based on their credit eligibility. TotallyMoney is an independent credit broker, not a lender. It provides a free comparison service to customers, though they may be paid a fee by lenders. How much they get paid doesn't influence how the service works or the ranking of any credit products presented to customers.
For more information, please contact James McCaffrey
- Free credit report providers and credit experts, TotallyMoney, are on a mission to improve the UK’s credit score and help people move on up to a better future.
- TotallyMoney launched its free credit report in late 2017, and today has 3 million customers.
- TotallyMoney is the highest rated free credit report provider on Trustpilot. They are also 2018, 2019 and 2020 winners of Best Free Credit Report Provider at Moneynet’s Personal Finance Awards, showing recognition from both its customers, as well as within the wider industry.
- TotallyMoney is backed by Elliott Advisors (UK) and Scottish Equity Partners (SEP), following a £29 million investment announced in January 2019.
- TotallyMoney is also a Sunday Times Best Company as well as a UK’s Best Workplace 2019.